FAQ...for businesses wanting to get paid!FAQ blocks.jpg

Just click on the question and get the answer!

What is your Process for collection? 

Once you have placed your account with one of our offices, we send an initial collection letter to the debtor letting them know the account has been placed with our office, who the creditor is (you) and how much is owed on the bill.  By law we must also let them know that they have 30 days to dispute the debt or request verification.  We cannot demand payment-in-full or report the debt to the credit bureaus within this 30-day time frame.  After the 30 days, if there has not been a payment or response, we will send a demand for payment in full.  At this point the debt is reported to the credit bureaus.  Phone calls become frequent and we will attempt to reach them at home, cell and work numbers. 



Does the age of the debt make it more difficult to collect? 

Yes, the older a debt the harder it is to collect.  Typically we recommend an account be placed with us between 90-180 days from date of last transaction.

Why should I use a collection agency? 

The use of a quality third party collection agency helps to provide the client the following benefits:

  • Reduced Overhead
  • Increased cash flow
  • Increased Production
  • Minimizes future bad debt problems
  • Maximizes profitability
How do I assign accounts to your offices? 

Our office will accept accounts in the following ways:

  • Mail
  • Fax
  • Internet (Web Site Transfer) with either single account submission or bulk account submission
  • Email
How long will it take for you to collect my money? 

Not all claims are collectible as some debtors may skip, file bankruptcy, become deceased or just refuse to pay.  The age of the debt also plays a part in how long it may take to collect.  If the debt is old and/or the debtor requires backup paperwork.  This can prolong any collections.  Rest assured though that our offices will work hard to collect any and all monies owed in as quick a time period as possible.  We work hard to recover this money to show you that you have made a wise decision to utilize our agencies.

What procedures do I follow if the customer pays me direct (after the account has been submitted)? 

The listing agreement with Professional Collection Service provides information on how to handle this situation. You may review these guidelines on the March 2, 2015 blog post.

Do you take cases to court? 

Yes, but only with our clients authorization. Commision rates increase due to the additional expense we incur.  Once a judgment is awarded, the debt is collected through wage garnishments, bank levy or asset sale.

What is skip tracing? 

Skip tracing is the process our collectors use to obtain contact information on your debtor, such as a current or alternate address and telephone number, and can include obtaining a person’s place of employment and current legal cases they are involved in.

When do I get my money once it is collected? 

Any monies collected on behalf of our clients is remitted after the first week of the following month that recovery was made.

What documents are needed to collect on the account? 

Our offices may need the following documents during collection efforts:  (If available)

  • Ledger history or itemized statement
  • Patient/Consumer registration or application
  • Contract, promissory note or agreement
What types of information can we (client) provide to Professional Collection Service, Inc. that will aid in the collection of my accounts? 

Here are the minimum requirements: 

  • Name of debtor (First, Last, MI)
  • Address (City, State, Zip)
  • Balance owed
  • Date of last charge or service
Additional information that you can provide that will help PCS tremendously in collecting your money: 
  • Spouse Name                            
  • Telephone Number                            
  • Cell Phone Number                        
  • PO Box or Alternate Address                    
  • Middle Initial of Debtor or Spouse
  • Social Security # of Debtor or Spouse
  • Employment of Debtor or Spouse
  • Date of Birth of Debtor or Spouse
  • Date of Last Payment

If you do not have this information on hand, consider adding a policy of obtaining at least some of these to your business practices for future accounts.


Do you have any requirements for us? 

The most important requirement we have is that you report to us if a debtor pays you directly.  It is illegal for us to try to continue to collect once they have paid either you or us.  Once you place the account with us, you must stop all in-house activity, do not send out monthly statements or continue to add any interest.

Can you collect on interest? 

PCS can collect on interest as long as the interest that is charged adheres with Nebraska State Laws.  In Nebraska, the maximum interest rate that can be charge is 16% per annum, or 1.33% per month, and this must be agreed upon in writing with the consumer/debtor.  Late charge, late fee, rebilling charge, etc., all are considered to be interest in Nebraska.  PCS is unable to collect on accounts with interest above the allowed maximum. (Nebraska Revised Statutes, Section 45-101.03 & Section 45-101.04)

What info would you need from me in order to get started? 

Your company name, address, fax, phone, and email.

The debtor’s contact information, name, address, any contact phone numbers, email etc.

Total amount owed, last date of service, and last payment date.

FAQ...Consumer information....more info here

If you’re behind in paying your bills, or a creditor’s records mistakenly make it appear that you are, a debt collector may be contacting you.

These questions/answers are courtesy of the FTC .... see more about consumer debt on the FTC website. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), which prohibits debt collectors from using abusive, unfair, or deceptive practices to collect from you.

Just click on the question and get an answer regarding collection agency contact.  

What types of debts are covered? 

The Act covers personal, family, and household debts, including money you owe on a personal credit card account, an auto loan, a medical bill, and your mortgage. The FDCPA doesn’t cover debts you incurred to run a business.

Can a debt collector contact me any time or any place? 

No. A debt collector may not contact you at inconvenient times or places, such as before 8 in the morning or after 9 at night, unless you agree to it. And collectors may not contact you at work if they’re told (orally or in writing) that you’re not allowed to get calls there.

Can a debt collector contact anyone else about my debt? 

If an attorney is representing you about the debt, the debt collector must contact the attorney, rather than you. If you don’t have an attorney, a collector may contact other people – but only to find out your address, your home phone number, and where you work. Collectors usually are prohibited from contacting third parties more than once. Other than to obtain this location information about you, a debt collector generally is not permitted to discuss your debt with anyone other than you, your spouse, or your attorney.
What does the debt collector have to tell me about the debt?

Every collector must send you a written “validation notice” telling you how much money you owe within five days after they first contact you. This notice also must include the name of the creditor to whom you owe the money, and how to proceed if you don’t think you owe the money.

Can a debt collector keep contacting me if I don't think I owe any money? 

If you send the debt collector a letter stating that you don’t owe any or all of the money, or asking for verification of the debt, that collector must stop contacting you. You have to send that letter within 30 days after you receive the validation notice. But a collector can begin contacting you again if it sends you written verification of the debt, like a copy of a bill for the amount you owe.

What practices are off limits for debt collectors? 

Harassment. Debt collectors may not harass, oppress, or abuse you or any third parties they contact. For example, they may not:

  • use threats of violence or harm
  • publish a list of names of people who refuse to pay their debts (but they can give this information to the credit reporting companies);
  • use obscene or profane language
  • repeatedly use the phone to annoy someone

False statements. Debt collectors may not lie when they are trying to collect a debt. For example, they may not:

  • falsely claim that they are attorneys or government representatives
  • falsely claim that you have committed a crime
  • falsely represent that they operate or work for a credit reporting company
  • misrepresent the amount you owe
  • indicate that papers they send you are legal forms if they aren’t
  • indicate that papers they send to you aren’t legal forms if they are

Debt collectors also are prohibited from saying that:

  • you will be arrested if you don’t pay your debt
  • they’ll seize, garnish, attach, or sell your property or wages unless they are permitted by law to take the action and intend to do so; or
  • legal action will be taken against you, if doing so would be illegal or if they don’t intend to take the action.

Debt collectors may not:

  • give false credit information about you to anyone, including a credit reporting company
  • send you anything that looks like an official document from a court or government agency if it isn’t
  • use a false company name

Unfair practices. Debt collectors may not engage in unfair practices when they try to collect a debt. For example, they may not:

  • try to collect any interest, fee, or other charge on top of the amount you owe unless the contract that created your debt – or your state law – allows the charge
  • deposit a post-dated check early,take or threaten to take your property unless it can be done legally
  • contact you by postcard
Can federal benefits be garnished? 

Many federal benefits are exempt from garnishment, including:

  • Social Security Benefits
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits
  • Veterans’ Benefits
  • Civil Service and Federal Retirement and Disability Benefits
  • Military Annuities and Survivors’ Benefits
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency Federal Disaster Assistance

Federal benefits may be garnished under certain circumstances, including to pay delinquent taxes, alimony, child support, or student loans.

Can I control which debts my payments apply to? 

Yes. If a debt collector is trying to collect more than one debt from you, the collector must apply any payment you make to the debt you select. Equally important, a debt collector may not apply a payment to a debt you don’t think you owe.

Can a debt collector garnish my bank account or my wages? 

If you don’t pay a debt, a creditor or its debt collector generally can sue you to collect. If they win, the court will enter a judgment against you. The judgment states the amount of money you owe, and allows the creditor or collector to get a garnishment order against you, directing a third party, like your bank, to turn over funds from your account to pay the debt.

Do I have any recourse if I think a debt collector has violated the law? 

You have the right to sue a collector in a state or federal court within one year from the date the law was violated. If you win, the judge can require the collector to pay you for any damages you can prove you suffered because of the illegal collection practices, like lost wages and medical bills. The judge can require the debt collector to pay you up to $1,000, even if you can’t prove that you suffered actual damages. You also can be reimbursed for your attorney’s fees and court costs. A group of people also may sue a debt collector as part of a class action lawsuit and recover money for damages up to $500,000, or one percent of the collector’s net worth, whichever amount is lower. Even if a debt collector violates the FDCPA in trying to collect a debt, the debt does not go away if you owe it.

What should I do if a debt collector sues me? 

If a debt collector files a lawsuit against you to collect a debt, respond to the lawsuit, either personally or through your lawyer, by the date specified in the court papers to preserve your rights.
Where do I report a debt collector for an alleged violation?

Report any problems you have with a debt collector to your state Attorney General’s office, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Many states have their own debt collection laws that are different from the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Your Attorney General’s office can help you determine your rights under your state’s law.